Saturday, April 28, 2012

Spun Out

This was supposed to be a post about chucking the whole spinning gig because I really lost interest in it.

I mean, I've tried wheels, and honestly, it feels more like work than fun to me. And yes, I've tried numerous wheels generously lent to me from local spinners. Wheels just aren't my thing.

So, I went to my spinning box (Rubbermaid storage container) to photograph those things I wasn't going to use any longer. Well...

This is my Golding 2" model with some Bruce spun up on it:

Photobucket

Photobucket


Hearts
2" Cherry Whorl
0.45 oz, 0.75 oz



For those who may have not read this blog for as long as some others, "Bruce" is the name I gave the depigmented yak fiber I bought eons ago. I figured if I was playing with an animal's hair for as long as I was, I should name it. Thus, Bruce.

Photobucket


This is fiber broken down by hand as I was trying to salvage Bruce from the original yarn I spun when I didn't know what I was doing and used the wrong weighted whirl to spin:

Photobucket


This is the rest of the original yak yarn from ages ago. I've decided that I'll use it as an alternating stripe with something lovely to distract the eye from how lumpy and uneven it is...

Photobucket



Meanwhile, I also got out and fondled this Golding 2.75" spindle:

Photobucket

Art Nouveau Filigree
Finely Scrolled Walnut whorl
Inlaid Bronze Alloy Ring
1.6 oz



For which I would use to spin this gorgeous hand-dyed merino a friend named especially for my book persona:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


And this brings us back to the point of the story where I thought I was going to give up spinning completely as I've not picked up either of my handmade, beautifully balanced spindles in over two years. I was on rest from them at the beginning because I had "tennis elbow" years ago. Then when given the release, I spun for a bit, but my heart wasn't in it. So I gave away 99% of my fiber to better spinners than myself, and stored away this wee bit.

Today I spun a bit of the Bruce. And damned if I didn't enjoy myself. I think I may have gotten my spin groove back after all.