Friday, January 14, 2011

One Skirmish Won

Today I woke up with a headache. I wish I could say it was the aggrieved state I was in with the sock business, but it's the antibiotics that gives me an outrageous headache by day 8 (out of 10) in the prescription.

Anyway, to make myself feel better, I wore a comfy dress sweater and slacks for work. Then I reached into my sock drawer and pulled out these socks to make me feel better:

Photobucket


These are socks hand knit by the same SnB friend who brought the book to me, refusing to allow me to leave the sock cult with any shred of dignity. The socks are even more lovely and comfy in person.

The Tank approves of these socks:

Photobucket


When it was nearly time for me to leave work today, I called The Yarn Shoppe and found they had the size 2 Addi Turbos in the lengths I was looking for, so I popped over to pick them up. I wasn't going down in this sock war without putting up a fight with the proper equipment.

Photobucket


When I arrived home, the soft and sweet colors of Encore yarn that I ordered for the Tulips cardigan baby sweaters had arrived. I can't wait to knit this sweater for Miss N. up north in these colors!

Photobucket


After some dinner of groovy homemade hummus I whipped up and a lowfat, low carb burrito, and a bit more stroking of the new yarn, I was ready to take on the Bloody Damn Socks once more:

Photobucket


Surprisingly, it went very well.

Of course, I threatened the yarn. I know, such violence and emotion toward an inanimate object - and one that wants nothing more than to do your bidding and make you happy. I seem to be able to pick the one malcontent out of the lot, much like husbands I've had...


I followed the directions from the book and marked the heel accordingly.

Photobucket


Then a few more rounds of plain knitting to bring it to the ball of my foot to see how it felt.


Holy hell! Will you look at how lovely this is now?! And this yarn is beyond charming in its colors...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Of course, now I have the sole to contend with on this sock.

Then marking the ankle spacing in relation to the heel.

Then turning the heel.

Then dealing with the leg opening.

Then sizing the leg.

Then the leg pattern.

So many opportunities to work up a sweat and swearing storm lie ahead.